Difference Between Traditional Marketing & Digital Marketing
Marketing refers to the activities that help a business market its products and turn prospects into leads. Marketing has entirely evolved from traditional to digital in the current digitally advanced arena. Therefore, it is accurate to state that an average person sees thousands of advertisements daily, whether traditional or digital.
Coming to the topic – of Traditional Marketing vs Digital Marketing, traditional marketing differs from digital marketing in several ways, one of which is that traditional marketing’s reach is local. In contrast, digital marketing is known for its global reach, i.e. ads placed on the internet can be seen by people from any place on earth, which is the power of digitalization.
Traditional Marketing Meaning
Traditional marketing is an old method of marketing. It is a type of promotion and advertisement which uses flyers, billboards, TV ads, radio ads, print advertisements, newspaper ads, and so on to the market the products.
The four important components of Traditional marketing are interest, awareness, desire, and decision.
Digital Marketing Meaning
Digital marketing is a modern method of marketing in which we promote and sell products and services online. It also refers to the promotion of any type of business via digital media and devices such as Google, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
The four important components of Digital Marketing are planning conversation, content, and ranking.
Key Differences Between Traditional Marketing & Digital Marketing
- Traditional marketing refers to any type of promotion, advertising, or campaign used by businesses over the years to publicise their products and services through traditional channels such as radio, television, newspapers, and so on. Digital Marketing, on the other hand, is the process of promoting and selling a company’s products and services through online marketing channels and tactics.
- Traditional marketing is static, however, digital marketing is not status (it is dynamic).
- In digital marketing, the conversion rate from prospect to lead is faster than in traditional marketing. This is because digital marketing is data-driven marketing, and ads are shown to people based on their likes and interests, which aids in the generation of qualified leads.
- Return on Investment cannot be calculated for traditional marketing, but it is simple to calculate for digital marketing.
- Customer engagement is higher in case of digital marketing due to the availability of several digital platforms. Customer can check the products, post the rating, ask the questions at anytime from anywhere when the product is promoted online, however, this is not the case in traditional marketing which offers only one-way communication.
Comparison Chart: Traditional Marketing vs Digital Marketing
|BASIS FOR COMPARISON||TRADITIONAL MARKETING||DIGITAL MARKETING|
|Meaning||Traditional marketing is defined as marketing that uses traditional channels or media for marketing communication.||Digital marketing refers to the promotion of goods and services through digital channels such as the internet, smartphones, display advertisements, and other digital media.|
|Return on Investment||Difficult to measure.||Easy to measure.|
|Effectiveness & expensiveness||Less effective & pricey||Cheaper & more effective|
|Tracking||We can not track||We can track|
|Communication||One-way Communication||Two-way Communication|
|Results||Delayed results||Quick & real-time results|
|Interruptions||Customers cannot avoid the advertisements because they are unavoidable.||Allows customers to avoid or skip advertisements that do not interest them.|
Traditional Marketing vs Digital Marketing: Why Digital Marketing is more powerful?
Because of the widespread use of social media and the internet in general, digital marketing strategies are expanding globally. According to DataReportal, 4.62 billion people use social media and 4.95 billion people use the internet in general.
As a result, it makes far more sense to advertise on the internet rather than on television or in a magazine.
Digital marketing has many advantages over traditional marketing. Several of them are listed below:
Highly cost-effective: Small businesses and startups with low financial requirements can find more effective and affordable channels to market their goods and services.
Engage your clients with compelling content : By providing your audience with compelling content you can influence them immediately.
Increases conversions: The success of digital marketing is sometimes determined by the rate at which incoming visitors are turned into consumers.
Increasing brand recognition: Keeping customers informed about new products, offers, discounts, etc., increases brand recognition.
A higher level of consumer engagement and conversion will result in higher earnings for your company. Thus, the companies can grow both nationally and internationally.
Improve ROI: Lower costs and higher revenue will lead to greater ROI for the business.